X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ajhagen
    • Nov 2004

Existing Condo and Wires

Just found this wonderful website, and was hoping ya'll might have some ideas for me.

I have a low end system/5.1 receiver. Presently, the front and center speakers sit on on top of the tv, with the speaker wires running down the back where I can't see them.

The rear speakers reside next to the couch (which is backed against a wall). The speaker wires run underneath an area rug across the room to the tv. There is about 2 inches exposed on the couch side, and 2 feet of exposed wire on the tv side of the rug.

How in the world can I hide those rear speaker wires? I live on the top floor of a condo. Wish I had it wired way back when I bought it, but unfortunately did not think of it=(

**edit** Been looking for info on wireless speakers. Is it possible to use wireless rear satellites with any existing receiver? I can hide the power cords for those speakers easily if it is possible.

Thanks in advance
  • Uncle Clive
    Former Moderator
    • Jan 2002

If selling the Condo is an option....................just kidding.....welcome to the GUIDE my friend :welcome:

Condos do often create a bit of a challenge especially in your case where pre-wiring was not done. If you can, throw up a pic of the room it would certainly help.

Have you considered using "flat wire"? It can go right around the wall's baseboard to your speakers. (may be an option)

On the subject of wireless speakers, one thing I heard is that there a has been a lot of complaints about signal loss. Not sure what components you'd need to add to an existing receiver to get good separation to the speakers. However there are complete systems out there that are wireless.
    CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Wireless speakers have poor sound quality and are subject to interferrence from other wireless devices, microwaves, etc.

If the floor has wall-to-wall carpet you can run wires in the space between the 'tackless' strip and the wall.

Wires can be hidden if a crown molding is applied to the ceiling, or a similar molding is applied to the floor.

For very short runs there is a flat speakerwire bonded to a paper backing. It's glued to the wall and painted over.

IMO I'd just live with it since the exposed areas are so short. Or it could be just be painted with same color as the wall or floor.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ajhagen
        • Nov 2004

Thanks for the info. Looks like running the wire between the tackless strip will be very easy to do and will work well for me. Thanks for all the help!

**edit** Er, what type of wire would be better to use in this case, flat wire?

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Just use whatever wire fits in the space between the tackless strip and the wall.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ajpoe
            • Jul 2004

you can also use something like this to run the wire under the carpet. i used it in my living room under 15'-18' of carpet and it worked great.

AJ
            AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Comment

• ajhagen
              • Nov 2004

Thanks for all the help. I used some flat wire, pulled the carpet up and ran it in the space between around. No more wires peeking out from behind the area rug!

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                Former Moderator
                • Jan 2002

Good job, the wife must be happy :T

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!
                CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"