X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tmueller
    • Sep 2004

Pre-Wiring New Condo-Need Help

Good Evening Gents,

I am admist a wiring project for my new condo and have run into a few questions. My setup will be as follows:

Loft:

5.1 (with .2 hookups to add a second sub)-all equip will remain the same as current: Rotel Stack w/Def. Tech. Mythos all around.

Should I use a 14/4 type wire or just stick w/ my local dealers recommendation one run of Kimber 4PR per speaker? Am I correct in assuming that a four conductor wire would be non-benifical in my setup because none of my speakers can be bi-wired?

Bathrooms + Patio

I would like to wire these rooms with volume controls and speakers. I am going to just use all these rooms as one zone with a future amp to be placed in a central location. The speakers will most likely be some form of B&W in wall or Speakercraft dual tweeter. Can I use a four conductor wire to go from the amp to the volume control and finally the speakers? Or is it recommended to use a two conducter wire to each speaker from the volume control?

Also, what do you guys use for long sub runs? I am looking at between forty to fifty feet and want a quality cable that won't cost a fortune.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
    Ty
  • tmueller
    • Sep 2004

Thanks Mods for moving this to the appropriate forum!!

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Ty-

First, consider "futureproofing" in whatever you do. The ideal setup may not be financially feasible, but at least consider things like upgrading speakers in the future that you may want to bi-amp, not just what you have now.

For speakers, I just ran 12-2 in-wall wire to all my locations. (12 gauge overkill probably) But yes, 14-4 would be great too.

For all-home audio, I've done this too. What I did was run 14-4 cable from my central distribution location to each room that it was being sent to. I used a distribution wallplate from Parts Express (see PE link at the bottom of the Guide pages) that works great, and I think you can distrubute like 10 zones from one amplifier. In each room, I ran the 14-4 cable to an impedance matching volume control by the lightswitch. Then from the volume control, I ran a pair of 14-2 cables to two in-ceiling speakers. Voila! Cheap and very functional all-home stereo audio.

For my theater, I used RG-6 quad shield coax cable terminated with crimp-on RCA plugs from Parts Express to run sub cable through my walls. Again, cheap, but very functional, and I can make whatever length I want.

However, Cat Cables does make speaker wire and sub cables that are very competitively priced, and can be customized to whatever length and setup you need. If you're looking to go a better route than installer-grade material like I used, Doug can hook you up very well. Again, links at the bottom of the page.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Ty,

I'll have to be a bit more stringent than Chris on the in-wall wiring. For your "true" A/V room, don't go with anything less that 12-guage. I've had issues in the past with a 14-guage run causing problems to an inefficient speaker. Now 14-guage is okay for moderate runs, but why skimp when a few cents more will prevent any possible future sonic issues? Now for whole house distribution systems that'll have fairly small, fairly efficient speakers that'll be played at a moderate level, 14-guage is just fine.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• tmueller
          • Sep 2004

Thanks for the advice guys.

I am going to start wiring tomorrow and have the game plan laid out. I am wiring my 5.1 room with Kimber 4pr and the rest of the house will have to settle for some cheaper 14/4 cl3 rated cable. I will post pics as work progresses.

I still haven't decided how I am going to wire the two channel system for around the fireplace. I am going to try to pvc the short runs so that I can put in the cable in at a later date. I have wanted to try some Cat Cables or 4tc Kimber for that run. Most likely the system will be a Bryston stereo amp with 802s.

My whole house system will consist of four zones controlled by Rotel's new receiver RSX-1052 and RMB 1066 for more amplification channels. In total we will be doing ten pairs of speakers outside of the above systems. Each room will have a simple volume control; however, the kitchen will have a Xantech touch screen to pipe the audio were we want it.

This project is getting really exciting and really expensive!!!

If anyone has more tips they would be greatly appreciated. I am looking for advice on the two channel wiring. Also, any advice on the whole-house system speakers would be great. I am currently checking out B&W contractor's series at about $250/pr.

Thanks and wish me luck.

Ty

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"