X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Audiman
    • Nov 2004

Where to buy X10 products in Canada

I'm new to this forum, so I apologize up front if this has already been covered elsewhere in the forum.

I'm planing my new HT and one of the local stereo shops suggested I consider using X10 products. His prices are generally more than double the US prices (on the web) for the same unit. I was wondering if there is a competitive supplier in Canada so I need not do cross border shopping. I there isn't, I would appreciate hearing about your experince in ordering equipment from the States (ie. how was the service (before & after sales), was the shipping expensive, were you charged duty (what percent), did you have to pay brokerage fees (how much), etc...

Thanks in advance to all who contribute.

Cheers,
    John
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I bought my stuff from www.smarthome.com and given the exchange rate at the moment I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Generally avoid UPS as a shipper if at all possible and then just factor in paying a tax and $5 for handeling and you should be close.

Comment

• Bent
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2003

I have dealt with a terrific outfit in Calgary called quantum electronics - the big oogie-mau there is named Randy - they deal in all forms of automation equipment, from X-10's base lineup right on through stuff like the Stargate.

The prices are competitive, and no border hassles at all.

Comment

• snef
        • Sep 2003

Comment

• Audiman
          • Nov 2004

Thanks for the prompt reply folks. I appreciate the help.

I have a couple of other questions if someone would care to respond:

1. My house is less than 3000sqft (around 2500), however, it was suggested to me that I install a phase coupler with amplifier. Is this item necessary? Would a simple phase coupler suffice (they're a lot cheaper)

2. Also, do most of the x10 dimmers work equally well with halogen lights as they do with incandescent lights or do you need to careful when selecting.

Thanks
          John

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Most of the X10 products I've used in past will not work with Hallogens at all. X10 for me is a mixed blessing...its cheap but not very reliable compared to some of the other alternatives (lutron)

Comment

• Bent
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2003

I'll go against the grain this time too, I'm using Decora Home Controls (Leviton powerline carrier type equipmemt) and have had no reliability issues at all.)

Comment

• Audiman
                • Nov 2004

Guys,

I am giving serious thought to purchasing the "MX-3000" from Universal Remote http://universalremote.com/htm/mx3000/index.html. Given your comments above and the cost of this unit, I was wondering if the Lutron or Leviton products could be controlled by the MX3000. Any idea ?

Cheers,
                John

Comment

• Bent
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2003

the Lutron equipment could be controlled directly by the built-in IR codes within the MX-3000, the Leviton stuff would require (at a minimum) the addition an an X-10 IR-543 to convert the IR signal to a powerline carrier, as the Leviton's only listen for a signal present on the powerline.
                  Please note that the Leviton equipment I'm speaking of is not cheap either, my 1000 watt dimmer that can control resistive or inductive loads (halogen lights as well as low voltage lighting transformers) lists for over 150 bucks CDN.

I originally opted to use Leviton DHC stuff because I was able to easily integrate it with my Ocelot home automation controller, and not have any line-of-sight problems like I would have if I installed the Lutron stuff - But I have since installed a Xantech IR repeater system to relay IR so the lie-of -sight problem would no longer be an issue.

How much lighting are you wanting to control ? (No. of different ccts, loading of same, etc).

Comment

• Audiman
                    • Nov 2004

My plan is to have 4-6 lighting zones in my HT. These will be comprised mostly of halogens. I expect to have one zone controlling some string lighting if thats doable. I was thinking of using Lutron's Grafik Eye 3500 as the main controller. It would be situated just inside my HT entrance, however, most of the lighting control will be done by me using the MX-3000.

Each zone will consist of 4-6 halogen pot lights. Hopefully thats not too much for the 3500 to manage. I'm very new to all this. Do I assume correctly that the wiring (120v) from each zone runs back to the Grafik Eye 3500 and get connected directly to the controller or is there some interim device which the house current must plug into before that device connects to the 3500. Any ideas?.

Cheers,
                    John

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"